Friday, September 3, 2010

"Six weeks too fast. Me like you." (Going the Distance, 2010)

Movie: Going the Distance

Rating: R

Release Year: 2010

Notable Cast: Justin Long, Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate, Jim Gaffigan

Stars: 2.5

Review: Aww, I really liked this movie! I think objectively there is a lot to criticize but somehow it worked. You know how they ask you in interviews to state your weaknesses, and you're always supposed to pick weaknesses that are secretly strengths? Pretty much that's how I felt about this movie-- its supposed weaknesses actually made me like this movie more. For example, I found it refreshing that the writers left a lot to the imagination-- none of the characters were very developed and there was minimal follow-through on a number of the plot-lines. The writers ended up giving the viewers a brief taste of the many, many challenges of building a strong relationship, compounded by long-distance. I liked the sampling of many obstacles better than extensive, tiresome development of a cliched few. I also found the characters real and down-to-earth-- I didn't feel I needed any additional development to understand them. My favorite character was definitely Christina Applegate as the uptight, protective older sister. She was so fun to watch! The humor in general was pretty well done throughout the movie. I also appreciated that this movie was what I think of as a "mild rated R." That is to say, it was rated R for language and drug use as opposed to adult relations.

I liked this movie most of all because I believed it. It was real with a hint of optimism... so, my dear viewers, if you are in a long-distance relationship and missing your special someone, think about this quote tonight: "Love is missing someone whenever you're apart but somehow feeling warm inside because you're close in heart."

Good date movie? Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment