Sunday, September 5, 2010

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." (When Harry Met Sally, 1989)

Movie: When Harry Met Sally

Rating: PG-13

Release Year: 1989

Notable Cast: Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan

Stars: 2.5

Review: First of all, if you like this movie, I really recommend that you see Bollywood's Hum Tum (translation: me and you), which was modeled after this movie. I had forgotten how similar the two movies are! Both are equally enjoyable in my opinion.

Generally, I like this movie. I think it's a fun watch for most any audience. I wouldn't characterize it as a chick flick because it's a bit more edgy. More in the genre of romantic comedy. The casting is superb, with Meg as the high maintenance, optimistic romantic and Billy as the blunt, pessimistic closet-romantic. Dialogue and humor are excellent. I can't rate this movie any higher though because there is a little bit too much innuendo and unsavory scenes/plot-lines for my taste (the same criticism I have for Hum Tum!).

I very much appreciate the overall message of this movie, which is told both through Harry/Sally's story and also through random interviews of couples throughout the movie-- Sometimes what you need is right under your nose, but you can't appreciate it nor understand it until you make your own journey for a while. It's important to be secure in yourself before you can truly commit to someone else.

Good date movie? I would say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment