Saturday, September 18, 2010

"The more I am in your world, the less I can be in his." (Charlie St. Cloud, 2010)

Movie: Charlie St. Cloud

Rating: PG-13

Release Year: 2010

Notable Cast: Zac Efron, Amanda Crew

Stars: 1.5

Review: Meh. I did not like this movie, primarily because it had the potential to be significantly better. First off, the acting was decent and the themes/lessons were good (e.g., live life to the fullest; the importance of acceptance in the grieving process). For about half the movie, I was pleasantly surprised since I wasn't expecting very much from a Zac Efron movie. But then the film took a decided turn for the worse when I realized in surprise that the writers actually wanted viewers to believe that Charlie had some kind of supernatural/sixth sense connection with "the in-between" (= ghost world, the supposed presence of spirits on Earth). I have no problem with supernatural stuff in a movie, but it has to be done with finesse and commitment. For most of the movie, you think that Charlie is merely grieving and thus imagining his brother's presence for comfort but then the writers throw you for a loop by showing Charlie talking with many different spirits and even using this hitherto unmentioned gift in resolving the climax of the story. (I am purposely being cryptic so as to avoid giving the story away.) Charlie's supposed gift then disappears as he finally accepts his brother's death and moves on with his life. I am forced to conclude that Charlie was not in fact gifted and was instead psychotic and ought to have been treated with haloperidol stat. I disliked this movie so much because it was inconsistent-- the writers ought to have committed to development of either the supernatural theme or the grieving theme, instead of some weird, unexpected mix that didn't make any sense.

Good date movie? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment