Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"You only live once, let's do this!" (Fast Five, 2011)

Movie: Fast Five

Rating: PG-13

Release Year: 2011

Notable Cast: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Dwayne Johnson

Stars: 2.5

Review: Excellent action flick! I suppose I ought to preface with my favorite film of this genre to allow my readers a frame of reference in reading this review. My favorite action flick is "The Italian Job." If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! ANYway, Fast Five was pretty great. In general, the action was fantastic, and my rating is simply not higher because of the sub-par dialogue, delivery, and acting. Here's a breakdown:

1. Action: Ah-mazing car scenes and overal heist! In the vein of Ocean's Eleven with respect to assembling a team of characters with unique talents to pull off an unbelievably cool robbery. I particularly enjoyed the relative lightheartedness and comedy of some of the characters and the entertaining character interactions. The cars were SO COOL also-- lots of eye candy fo shizzle! The chase scenes are unrealistic (sorry but no way that two Dodge Chargers could pull that vault), but awesomely thrilling.

2. Dialogue/Delivery: Oh my goodness. TERRIBLE! Characters said weird things, at weird times, and with weird facial expressions and body language.

3. Story: Just okay. I feel the writers tried too hard to JUSTIFY the robbery. They tried to convince the audience that the robbers were in the right by appealing to the gotta-take-care-of-my-family theme. C'mon now. No one in a heist flick is looking for justification. An analogous genre is pirate flicks-- ex. Pirates of the Caribbean-- it's definitely more entertaining that Capn Jack Sparrow is UNABASHEDLY and UNAPOLOGETICALLY a scallywag.

Good date movie? Yup!

No comments:

Post a Comment