Monday, May 9, 2011

"Have you ever gone down a road, like far down, and wondered maybe if it wasn't what you want?" (Something Borrowed, 2011)

Movie: Something Borrowed

Rating: PG-13

Release Year: 2011

Notable Cast: Kate Hudson, Ginnifer Goodwin, John Krasinski, Colin Egglesfield

Stars: 1.5

Review: *Sigh.* It's so disappointing when you expect a good movie and then have a terrible experience. This movie was awful. Is it just me, or has it been forever and a day since we had a good chick flick out?! It's like the writers for this movie started by making a list of what they felt are the necessary ingredients of a romantic comedy and then just hodge-podge mixed everything together. It felt like an amateur cooking show. Where to start? The characters were so unappealing. The so-called hero was spineless and pathetic and the so-called heroine was apparently so low in self-esteem that she let herself be treated like trash. I'm not super-feminist, but I'm a little feminist (c'mon people, brownie points if you know the reference), and I was appalled by the love story. What kinds of values are we putting forth into society! Cheating by any other name would be as terrible. Calling it "love" does not make it less terrible. More on characters... Kate Hudson as the immature, party-hardy bride-to-me was a caricature, and John Krasinski's character was simply unnecessary. In terms of acting, no one was awesome. Mostly, I blame the poor dialogue and character development, but even those aspects notwithstanding, the delivery was sub-par. Krasinksi particularly was disappointing. I really like him as Jim on The Office, but somehow his acting didn't cut it on the big screen. Last but certainly not least, 'cuz I am loathe to waste any more time on this movie, this movie was BORING.

Good date movie? No.

3 comments:

  1. aww SO sad. and I generally like kate hudson. Definitely has been too long since a good chick flick came out...but go see fast five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeahhh i am planning to! :) especially after your rave review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was actually a really good movie... i couldnt help my self from laughing! I loved the friend, (the guy who plays him is from the office) he was hilarious! I dont no how you can say this about that movie because i thought it was so funny

    ReplyDelete