Friday, April 29, 2011

"Graduation is for the parents...but prom is really just for us." (Prom, 2011)

Movie: Prom

Rating: PG

Release Year: 2011

Notable Cast: Aimee Teegarden, Thomas McDonell

Stars: 1.5

Review: Cheesy, cheesy, cheesy, cheesy, cheesy...did I mention cheesy? movie. In fact, the cheesiest non-Indian movie I have ever seen! Also... (and I am embarrassed to admit this) totally awesome. Haha! I am a sucker for cheese, as well as nostalgia for the good ol' relatively carefree days of high school. Objectively, the movie was incredibly flawed. Dialogue was laugh-out-loud (and I did!) ridiculous, and the characters were uni-dimensional. Acting was just okay, and plot-line was completely predictable. BUT all of this was within my expectations, and as I have mentioned before, I have a high tolerance for movies that meet my expectations. Intent, to me, is supremely important. I don't think the writers/directors intended to make this film any better than it was. In fact, it was rather refreshing to see such a lighthearted and innocent flick. I was particularly amused to walk into the theater and realize I was the only person over the age of 12 or 13. And even more amused to hear the tweens commenting loudly about the cheesiness of the dialogue and scenes! Hahahaha. I would recommend this movie as a totally silly and cute movie for gals.

Good date movie? Nah. Don't torture your guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment