Thursday, September 15, 2011

--A note from the author--

Hi everyone! A good friend of mine made a comment on my review of "The Help" asking why I rated it only a 3.5. This is a good question, and one that compelled me to provide information to my readership regarding my 0-4 scaling for movies. What is a 4, to me? I consider a movie to be 4 stars if it is "a 3.5-star movie that has endured." And by enduring, I mean that it has continued to be appealing over time, and that it is appreciated by people of a variety of demographics (age, race, culture, country). I think movies can only get up to 3.5 stars in and of themselves, because the remaining 0.5 stars depends on the response by the audience. Basically, the question is--can a movie really be 4 stars if it is not widely appreciated? Isn't part of the greatness of films their popular approval? I think no to the first question, and yes to the second... and that's the long-winded explanation of my scale. :) So, The Help might eventually achieve 4 stars, and The Godfather, for example, has achieved 4 stars by being a 3.5 star movie that has endured. :)

Have a beautiful day!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I understand now. Thanks Monika. I thought the movie was so good it deserves 4 stars. That's just me. It's like the "next great american novel" it can't truly be great until it's withstood the test of time. The book is really good so far by the way.

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete